Near-Field to Far-Field Transformation for Antenna Measurements (NF2FF).
Hologram analysis can also be used to study near field communication (NFC) antennas.
J. Logan (firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com)
A. P. Mynster (firstname.lastname@example.org)
M. J. Pelk (email@example.com)
C. Ponder (firstname.lastname@example.org)
K. Van Caekenberghe (email@example.com)
The script assumes:
1. Rectangular coordinate system with z axis normal to planar aperture
2. exp(j*omega*t) time dependence convention. Please, substitute i with -j whenever implementing exp(-i*omega*t) time dependence convention based algorithms.
The script uses:
1. Near field datasets of a 94 GHz slotted waveguide (U.S. Patent No.: 7,994,969) can be downloaded from: http://www-personal.umich.edu/~vcaeken/DATASETS.zip.
Sought-after extensions are listed below. Please post them on the
website, if you are willing to contribute:
1. Cylindrical and spherical near field to far field transformation
2. Graphical user interface
The package also includes data acquisition scripts for reading out S-parameters from the HP 8510C and HP 8720ES network analyzers, and the Rohde & Schwarz ZVA40 network analyzer. The DAQ scripts require a MATLAB Instrument Control Toolbox license.
1. C. A. Balanis, "Antenna Theory, Analysis and Design, 2nd Ed.", Wiley, 1997. [exp(j*omega*t) time dependence convention]
2. D. Paris, W. Leach, Jr., E. Joy, "Basic Theory of Probe-Compensated Near-Field Measurements", IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 26, No. 3, May 1978. [exp(-i*omega*t) time dependence convention]
3. A. D. Yaghjian, "Approximate Formulas for the Far Field and Gain of Open-Ended Rectangular Waveguide", IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 32, No. 4, April 1984. [exp(-i*omega*t) time dependence convention]
4. A. D. Yaghjian, "An Overview of Near-Field Antenna Measurements", IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 34, No. 1, June 1986. [exp(-i*omega*t) time dependence convention]
5. G. F. Masters, "Probe-Correction Coefficients Derived From Near-Field Measurements", AMTA Conference, October 7-11, 1991.
6. J. J. Lee, E. M. Ferren, D. P. Woollen, and K. M. Lee, "Near-Field Probe Used as a Diagnostic Tool to Locate Defective Elements in an Array Antenna", IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 36, No. 6, June 1988. [exp(-i*omega*t) time dependence convention]
8. R. M. Goldstein, H. A. Zebken, and C. L. Werner, "Satellite Radar Interferometry: Two-Dimensional Phase Unwrapping", Radio Sci., Vol. 23, No. 4, pp. 713-720, 1988.
9. D. C. Ghiglia and M. D. Pritt, "Two-Dimensional Phase Unwrapping: Theory, Algorithms and Software". Wiley-Interscience, 1998.
10. J. M. De Freitas. "SPHERE3D: A Matlab Function to Plot 3-Dimensional Data on a Spherical Surface".
QinetiQ Ltd, Winfrith Technology Centre, Winfrith,
Dorchester DT2 8XJ. UK. 15 September 2005.
Van Caekenberghe, K.; Logan, J. (2021). NF2FF (https://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/23385-nf2ff), MATLAB Central File Exchange. Retrieved .
MATLAB Release Compatibility
Platform CompatibilityWindows macOS Linux
Inspired: Near-Field to Far-Field Transformation
Community Treasure Hunt
Find the treasures in MATLAB Central and discover how the community can help you!Start Hunting!