(1) Involve your IT Team
Some of the steps below may require administrator permission and will be easier to follow with the expertise of your IT helpdesk.
(2) Try to ping your Speedgoat target
Try to ping the target from the Windows Command Prompt. If the ping fails, double-check the IP, Gateway, and Port settings that you selected for the Speedgoat computer and development computer Ethernet interface. Also, connect a screen to your Speedgoat to verify whether it boots successfully.
(3) Verify Firewall & Antivirus settings on your PC
Connection issues are most likely caused by firewall or antivirus software blocking the host-target communication. This is particularly relevant if you are setting up a Speedgoat connection for the first time, if you installed a new version of MATLAB, or if a Windows Update or other IT software rollout wiped out your custom settings.
Run the following command in MATLAB to get the list of all antivirus software present on your Windows development computer:
[~,antivirus]=system('WMIC /Node:localhost /Namespace:\\root\SecurityCenter2 Path AntiVirusProduct Get displayName /Format:List')
For every software returned by the above command, with the help of your IT team, make sure that:
- The firewall/antivirus software allows the <matlabroot>\bin\matlab.exe process through the firewall. The software will have to be configured for every installed version of MATLAB that you intend to use with Speedgoat hardware.
- The firewall/antivirus software does not block the IP addresses, ports, or protocols that the development and target computers use to communicate.
If Windows Defender Firewall or Symantec Endpoint Protection is enabled on your host computer, refer to the following MATLAB Answers post for a detailed description of the steps to follow:
Users with Linux host PCs may find this link helpful:
(4) Open Ports used by Simulink Real-Time
Make sure to allow the ports mentioned in the post below through your firewall, network, and VPN security configuration (in case you connect to your target remotely), as explained in the following MATLAB Answers Post:
(5) Configure the Ethernet interface as 'Private'
It is recommended to configure the Host PC Ethernet interface used for the host-target link as 'Private'. Having the Ethernet interface configured as 'Public' may cause disruptions in the host-target communication. Follow the instructions here:
NOTE: Your IT department may have policies in place that revert the configuration back to 'Public' after some time, or after a PC restart. Re-check the configuration from time to time and make sure the 'Private' setting is permanent. If not, talk to your IT helpdesk.
(6) Verify Ethernet interface properties
When configuring the properties of the Ethernet interface, we typically recommend disabling everything except IPv4. Do this with any Ethernet interface used for host-target communication. See the screenshot attached above for details.
(7) Try different hardware & Avoid USB-Ethernet adapters
Try using different hardware (cables, host PC, Ethernet interface on the host, USB-Ethernet adapter, docking station). USB-Ethernet adapters are particularly known to cause problems and it is always worth swapping your currently used adapter with another one. It is recommended to use a direct Ethernet interface whenever possible.
(8) Try a 1-to-1 connection
If your Speedgoat machine is on your company network, try to directly connect it to your host computer instead. If the point-to-point connection works, make sure that the connection is not blocked by hubs/switches/routers on the network.
(9) Update the Ethernet driver on your PC
In some cases, updating the Ethernet network interface card (NIC) driver resolves communication issues with the target computer.
(10) Temporarily disable the firewall and antivirus software
Temporarily disable all firewall and antivirus software. You can either do this manually or by booting your PC in "Windows Safe Mode with Networking", as explained in the link below:
Note that by disabling one firewall/antivirus software, another software (usually Windows Defender Firewall) may automatically be activated as a fallback.
If your IT does not allow this, try another host PC that is not connected to the company network and/or internet.
(11) Contact MathWorks Technical Support
- A detailed description of your network setup.
- The outcome after performing the troubleshooting steps above.