Gridded NORA3 data: automated and remote data extraction
다운로드 수: 66
업데이트 날짜: 2022/7/26
The NORA3 atmosphere hindcast data are remotely accessed using the OPeNDAP framework and the THREDDS Data Server of the Norwegian Meteorological Institute . If the data are extracted for multiple latitudes and longitudes, the data are stored in a gridded format. The atmospheric data are retrieved for seven different heights, from 10 m to 750 m above the surface. The mean wind speed profile can be interpolated using a non-linear scheme based on the Deaves and Harris model [2,3]. Above the ocean, the sea roughness is modelled using the Charnock relation. A summary of the NORA3 data and their potential is available in .
The present submission contains
- getNORA3.m: A function that imports the NORA3 hindcast from 
- getz0_charnock.m: A function that estimates the roughness of the sea surface using Charnock's equation and the logarithmic profile of the mean wind speed.
- interpU.m: A function that interpolates the mean wind speed using The Deaves and Harris model [2,3]
- world.mat: A data file that contains the coastline of countries (used for visualization purpose only)
- Documentation.mlx: A Matlab LiveScript that illustrates how these functions can be used
Any comment, question or suggestion is welcome
 Harris, R. I., & Deaves, D. M. (1980, November). The structure of strong winds, wind engineering in the eighties. In Proc. CIRIA Conf.
 ESDU. (1985). ESDU 85020-Characteristics of atmospheric turbulence near the ground. Part II: single point data for strong winds (neutral atmosphere.
 Solbrekke, I. M., Sorteberg, A., & Haakenstad, H. (2021). Norwegian hindcast archive (NORA3)–A validation of offshore wind resources in the North Sea and Norwegian Sea. Wind Energy Science Discussions, 1-31.
Cheynet, E., I. M. Solbrekke, J. M. Diezel, and J. Reuder. A one-year comparison of new wind atlases over the North Sea. Accepted for publication in Journal of Physics: Conference Series. 2022